Birm Iron and Manganese Filter System
Birm® is an efficient and economical media for the reduction of dissolved iron and manganese compounds from raw water supplies. Birm acts as an insoluble catalyst to enhance the reaction between dissolved oxygen and the iron compounds. In ground waters the dissolved iron is usually in the ferrous bicarbonate state due to the excess of free carbon dioxide and is not filterable. Birm, acting as a catalyst between the oxygen and the soluble iron compounds, enhances the oxidation reaction of Fe++ to Fe+++ and produces ferric hydroxide which precipitates and may be easily filtered. The physical characteristics of Birm provide an excellent filter media which is easily cleaned by backwashing to remove the precipitant. Birm is not consumed in the iron removal operation and therefore offers a tremendous economic advantage over many other iron removal methods. Micronizer may be needed for iron levels above 5ppm. Not for use with water containing hydrogen sulfide.
Birm Filter System Includes:
- Genesis timered backwash control valve
- 1 cubic foot of iron removing birm
- 3/4 inch or 1 inch bypass connections
- Only requires periodic backwash
- 9x48 media tank.
- Service flow rate is 4 GPM
- Service Flow Rate: 4 GPM @ 15 psi drop
- Required Backwash Rate: 5 GPM
- Regeneration Type: Timer Initiated
- Electrical Power Requirements: 120v/60hz.
- Warranty: Control 7 Years/ Tanks Lifetime
- Required backwash rate is 5 GPM
- Compact overall system dimensions: 10x14x56